If you’re looking for some delicious low-calorie chocolate muffins, you’re in the right place! These muffins are moist, chocolaty, and perfect for a snack, dessert, or even part of a healthy breakfast!
You guys! You know I love food (even though I’m kind of a picky eater). But I want to eat stuff that tastes great and doesn’t leave me feeling deprived of all my favorites.
I’m all for making over recipes so they’re healthier, lower in sugar and calories so they can fit into a food plan that is filling, satisfying, AND healthy.
I love chocolate cake and cupcakes. I’ve tried all sorts of recipes and tricks to make them lower fat and or calories and sugar.
But so many of them include bananas, which overpower the taste, or some other ingredient that makes the flavor “off” somehow.
I want my lower calorie recipes to approach the real flavor very closely, in both taste and texture.
I do believe I have hit the jackpot this time!
These delicious and very chocolately and rich low-calorie chocolate muffins clock in at 119 calories each, or less! Why less?
Because the program I used to input the ingredients didn’t have one of them so I substituted sour cream and it used full fat regular.
The ACTUAL recipe calls for either low fat sour cream or low fat Greek yogurt (which is what I used), so the actual calories are a tad lower and the protein content is a tad higher than what the nutrition facts show!
But even at 119 calories there is room for some whipped cream on top, or a sugar-free frosting, or just some sprinkled powdered sugar like in the picture.
Skinny Chocolate Muffins
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour Can substitute almond flour or other flours for all of the flour in this recipe.
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup granulated no calorie sugar replacement I used Purecane brand
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I used regular Hershey's
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips can be no-sugar which will save about 13 calories per muffin
- 1/2 cup egg replacement liquid I used Egg Beaters. You can use whole eggs or another egg substitute if you like. Calories will differ.
- 1/2 cup vanilla low fat Greek yogurt I used Two Good brand. If you use plain Greek yogurt, increase the vanilla extract to 1 tsp.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond mild (or any milk)
- 1/4 cup applesauce or mashed banana I used applesauce because I don't like the taste of banana in chocolate muffins!
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a standard 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour(s) sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, yogurt, milk, applesauce, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet mixture until just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center JUST comes out almost clean. Do not overbake or your muffins will be dry.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Allow to cool completely and store in freezer-safe Ziplock bag or air-tight container.
NutritionCalories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.3g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4.1g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 162mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 2.4g | Sugar: 13.3g | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg
Here’s where you can purchase Purecane zero-calorie sweeteners. They have sweeteners for baking and tabletop sweeteners as well. It’s the closest I’ve found taste-wise to the real thing!
And see if you can find Two Good low-sugar Greek yogurt! There’s a store locater at their website. The vanilla is so good in desserts, or just for adding some fruit. And even their plain isn’t nearly as tangy as others which, to me, is a good thing!
Let me know in the comments if you try this and how they came out. Don’t be afraid to make a few adjustments, just remember that your calorie count may change some.
And remember to not overbake!
Want to remember this post for Skinny Chocolate Muffins? Be sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!